Estes Proto X FPV Review
Estes Proto X FPV Review
The Estes Proto X FPV quadcopter is a small sized quadcopter that can take high definition videos. It looks similar to the popular Proto X nano quadcopter, but the Proto X FPV is significantly larger than its predecessor and has many differences in both design and function. The Estes Proto X FPV quadcopter is a great option if you’re looking for a budget quadcopter to take HD videos, though the footage is nowhere near what you can get with a DJI Phantom or a Parrot Bebop Drone. Read on for more thoughts on this tiny quadcopter in our Estes Proto X FPV review!
Estes Proto X FPV Review – Final Thoughts
Estes Proto X FPV Specifications and Dealer Information
Enjoy the immersive experience of first-person view flying, and record your adventures to share with friends with the Proto-X FPV Quadcopter from Estes. This 4.5″ diagonal mini quadcopter is ready-to-fly – meaning no assembly is required – and includes an integrated flight camera with 720p, 30 fps recording capability. So you can fly with a copter’s eye view, the transmitter (radio controller) features a 4.5″ LCD screen and built-in video receiver. Video can be recorded either within the camera or remotely on the transmitter – in either instance, a microSD card is used. A single 2GB microSD card and USB card reader come in the box.
A computerized flight control system with multiple flight modes means the Proto-X is suitable for all skill levels. By default, full safties are enabled to help keep the quadcopter flying even if the pilot makes an overzealous move. For experienced multi-rotor fliers, Expert Mode can be enabled to unlock the Proto-X’s full potential. In this mode, aerial acrobatics including flips become possible. The Proto-X is suitable for indoor use, and can be flown outside as long as wind is minimal.
Propelling the quadcopter is a 650mAh LiPo battery, which is included along with a USB charging cable. The transmitter powers from four standard AA batteries, available separately.
- A 2.4 GHz, 6-channel transmitter (radio controller) comes included and no assembly is required. The only thing you will need for it is four AA batteries. The transmitter features a 4.5″ LCD display showing a live feed from the flight camera. A nondetachable LCD hood is included for use outdoors in bright sunlightNote: Be sure to follow the pre-flight setup instructions in the manual before your first flight
- First-Person View Fun
- The integrated 720p camera in the Proto-X plus a 4.5″ full-color display on the transmitter (radio controller) combine to give you an immersive FPV (first-person view) flying experience. On top of that, you can record your aerial adventures to share with friends – for this purpose, a 2GB microSD card and USB card reader are included
- On-Board or Transmitter Video Recording
- You have two choices for recording video: placing a microSD card in the camera itself; or placing a microSD card in the transmitter. The advantage of using the transmitter is that you can start and stop recording as you like; the advantage of recording in-camera is higher quality (720p at 30 fps) and an image that is free from radio static. A single 2GB card is included in the box – however, with a second card you can record both in-camera and to transmitter at the same time
- Intelligent Flight Control System
- A 3-axis gyro plus three accelerometers provide the flight control system (the on-board computer) with essential data to help ensure a stable flying condition – even during the most daring aerial acrobatics
- Expert Mode
- In this mode, computerized intervention is minimized to give advanced pilots the greatest degree of flying freedom
- Flip Mode
- When in Expert Mode, you can use rapid stick movements to flip the Proto-X in any direction – left, right, front, back (refer to manual for details)Note: The Proto-X will not flip if the battery is too low
- Seven LED Running Lights
- Seven on-board running lights add to the fun, and allow visual contact with the Proto-X to be maintained at night
- 650mAh 1S LiPo Battery Included
- The included flight battery features USB charging, making it easy to find a power source from which to refuel. A USB power cord also comes in the box
- Spare Rotors In the Box
- A set of four spare rotor blades are included, as well as a special “U” wrench used to remove and install them